No water in kitchen but everywhere else is undoubtedly a frustrating situation. And as a homeowner finds out, the kitchen faucet is not dispensing water. At the same time, having enough water in other parts of the house is a frightening experience, and obliviously it gives you massive tension.
So what to do! Do you need to replace the whole kitchen plumbing system? If so, then it will be a significant investment.
However, don’t worry; generally, there’s no water in the kitchen faucet due to inadequate water pressure. Low water pressure in the kitchen is the main reason for the faucet not delivering the required water.
Luckily, you can boost water pressure through various methods, such as repairing the waterline, replacing faulty water valves, thawing the pipeline, and fixing any water leaks.
By the way, low water pressure is not all time the main culprit. There can be other reasons too. Let’s find out the possible cause of the water absence in the kitchen faucet and solve it.
5 Reasons There’s No Water in Kitchen but Everywhere Else
Don’t panic if you notice no water coming from your kitchen faucet. Instead, take a moment to observe the situation. This will help you identify the reason behind the faucet’s low or non-existent water pressure.
Generally, five common causes can lead to a malfunctioning kitchen faucet.
Reason 1- Issues with the Waterline:
Problems in the waterline may cause low water pressure in the kitchen. If the plumbing system is damaged, it can cause a decrease in pressure. To determine whether the problem is localized to your kitchen or affects the entire house, you should inspect the waterline from the kitchen faucet to the main water line.
If the problem is present throughout your house, it could affect the wider region. In this case, it’s a good idea to check with your neighbors to see if they are experiencing similar issues.
Reason 2- Damage kitchen faucet:
The kitchen faucet itself can be the source of the problem. If you find no water coming out of the tap when turned on, there are typically three potential reasons for this. These reasons are:
- Blockages or Blocked aerator
- Debris in pipes
- Clogged cartridge
To identify the problem with the kitchen faucet, you need to observe it. Once you have located the issue, it should be easy to fix. The following section will explain how to remove blockages or clogs from the aerator and cartridge.
Reason 3- Frozen or leaky waterline:
Water Pipe Leaks: Over time, water pipes can become rusty and damaged, resulting in leaks. These leaks can cause a decrease in water pressure, leading to inadequate water flow to the kitchen faucet.
Frozen Water in the Pipes: During the winter, the water inside the pipes can freeze, leading to no water coming out of the kitchen sink faucet. To fix this issue, it’s necessary to thaw the frozen water within the pipes.
Reason 4- Problem with water heater:
Other culprits that can lead to a lack of water in your kitchen faucet are water heater issues. Sediment buildup, faulty heating elements, and broken dip tubes are common reasons behind it. Sediment accumulation can result in reduced hot water production. At the same time, faulty elements, dip tubes, and leaks can affect the temperature and pressure of the water.
Diagnosing and fixing these issues is vital to prevent further damage to your water heater and plumbing system.
Reason 5- Defective water valve:
A defective water valve is a common cause of no water in the kitchen faucet. The valve controls the flow of water into the faucet. When it is not functioning correctly, it can prevent water from flowing through the faucet altogether.
The valve can become faulty for various reasons, like mineral deposits, debris buildup, corrosion, or internal mechanism malfunction. For instance, a worn or damaged seal can prevent the valve from closing fully and allow water to leak.
How to Fix the Problem of low Water Pressure in Kitchen Sink:
You can fix low water pressure in a kitchen sink faucet once you find the reason. It’s easier to fix than you might think. We have included three successful methods with details. Have a look at which one you need.
Solution 1- Prevents Water Line Leaks:
Firstly, when there is a leak in the waterline, it can lead to low water pressure in faucets. To fix the leak, you can use Teflon or plumbing tape. If the leak is minor, you can apply the tape directly over the affected area.
You will need to use a welder to fix the problem for more significant leaks. It’s best to use brass for the welding process to prevent future rusting. Additionally, if the waterline is frozen, you need to thaw it. You can pour boiling water through the stopper of the kitchen sink faucet or hold a lamp near the pipe to heat it.
Solution 2- Clear Aerator Blockages:
Primarily, the aerator is responsible for regulating water flow and providing the necessary air pressure for proper water flow in the attached faucet. However, it can stop working properly when it becomes clogged with debris, dirt, and grime, resulting in decreased water pressure in the kitchen sink faucet.
- Before working on the sink aerator, you must protect the parts from falling through the pipe by plugging the drain. Additionally, to prevent water from flowing and keep the workspace clean, it’s necessary to turn off the waterline.
- Next, to remove the aerator, gently twist it with your hands. If it doesn’t come off quickly, you can use pliers, but be careful not to damage the aerator. Damaging it could lead to replacing the entire aerator, which can be costly.
- Once the aerator is loose, you can remove it from the kitchen sink faucet and begin cleaning it. Soak the aerator in a mixture of liquid detergent and water for a few minutes to soften any debris or grime. For heavily clogged aerators, boiling it in vinegar and water can help remove the debris.
- Now, take a clean toothbrush and scrub away the softened debris from the aerator. Since the aerator has multiple small holes, you can use a pin to poke through them to remove any remaining grime.
- After rinsing the aerator, reassemble it back onto the kitchen sink faucet. It should restore adequate water pressure. If the water pressure is still low, it may be necessary to replace the aerator.
- Once you have completed the above steps, turn on the waterline to check the water pressure in the sink faucet. If the pressure has not improved, you may need to check for other blockages in the waterline or seek the help of a professional plumber.
Solution 3- Clear the Cartridge Blockage:
You should inspect the cartridge if the aerator does not cause low water pressure. In case of a blockage, you will need to unclog it.
- The first step is to stop the drain hole to prevent small parts like screws from falling through and into the pipe. Then, turn off the water supply using the valves under the sink to avoid flooding the floor.
- As a second step, remove the faucet handle, locate the protective cap, use a flathead screwdriver to pry it, and remove the cartridge to access it.
- Once you successfully remove the protective cap, you will see the cartridge nut inside. Take a wrench and use it to remove the nut. Keeping all nuts and parts organized is essential so you can easily reassemble the cartridge later.
- Next, submerge the cartridge in a mixture of vinegar and water. The vinegar’s acidity will loosen the debris buildup in and around the cartridge, making it easier to clean.
- After cleaning the sink cartridge, you can reassemble it by following the opposite steps.
- Lastly, reassemble the cartridge by replacing the cartridge nut and faucet handle, ensuring that all parts are correctly aligned and tightened. Finally, turn the water supply back on and test the water pressure to ensure the blockage has been cleared.
If you still need to find the correct water pressure from the faucet, you might have to replace the entire faucet.
Solution 4: Replace the Defective water valve:
To fix the issue of a defective water valve causing a low-pressure water supply in the kitchen faucet, you may need to replace the valve. Here are the steps to follow:
- Turn off the water supply to the kitchen faucet. You can do this by closing the shutoff valve under the sink.
- Detach the faucet handle and remove the protective cap to access the cartridge. The cartridge is usually held in place by a nut.
- Use a wrench to loosen and remove the cartridge’s nut..
- Remove the cartridge and inspect it for any damage or wear. If it looks fine, the problem is likely with the water valve.
- Unscrew the water valve from the faucet and replace it with a new one.
- Reassemble the faucet by inserting the new valve, reattaching the cartridge, and tightening the nut with a wrench.
- Finally, reattach the protective cap and faucet handle.
Once you have completed these steps, turn the water supply back on and test the water pressure. If the water pressure has increased, the issue has been resolved.
After checking and solving all the mentioned methods, if you are still experiencing no water in your kitchen faucet. There may be another issue causing the low water pressure, and you may need to contact a professional plumber for further assistance.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What could be the cause of my kitchen sink not functioning?
Answer: A clogged cartridge, faulty water valve, aerator or leaky waterline is a possible reason why the kitchen sink might not be working if other faucets in the home are functioning accurately.
What could be why no water comes out of my kitchen faucet?
Answer: There are several possible reasons for no water coming out of your kitchen faucet. Some of the most common causes include low water pressure due to a decrease in the main supply or a defective waterline preventing water from flowing to the faucet.
But suppose you suspect there may be another issue with the waterline or water pressure. In that case, contacting a plumber is recommended to help diagnose and resolve the issue.
What is the difference between a water valve and Cartridge?
Answer: A water valve and a cartridge are two different components that serve various functions in a faucet.
A water valve controls water flow into the faucet, and a cartridge controls the flow and temperature of water through the tap. The water valve is typically located underneath the sink, while the cartridge is a component located inside the faucet.
While both components are essential for the operation of a faucet, they serve different functions and are not interchangeable.
How do I know my kitchen sink is clogged?
Answer: To determine if a kitchen sink is clogged, you may need to remove the aerator and cartridge. The faucet aerator can be removed using a plier set. At the same time, the cartridge can be accessed by prying off the protective cap and carefully removing the nut with a wrench.
Does the airlock cause low water pressure in the kitchen sink faucet?
Answer: Yes, an airlock can cause low water pressure in a kitchen sink faucet. An airlock occurs when air becomes trapped in the water supply pipes, preventing water from flowing freely. When this happens, it can cause a decrease in water pressure or even a complete blockage.
If you suspect that an airlock is the cause of low water pressure in your kitchen sink faucet. You can resolve the issue by turning off the water supply and opening the tap to release any trapped air.
In the end, if there is no water in kitchen but everywhere else, water seems to be functioning correctly; a clogged aerator or cartridge, a faulty water valve, or an airlock may cause the issue. Following the steps outlined in this article, you can diagnose the problem and determine the best course of action to fix it.
Whether you tackle the issue yourself or call a professional plumber, promptly addressing the problem can help prevent further damage and ensure that your kitchen faucet functions properly again.
Paul Newman is a blogger who writes about plumbing and home improvement. Over the past 20 years, I have worked as a plumber. My passion is to share my knowledge and experience with others to improve their homes.