You can’t deny the facility of a dishwasher in your everyday life. Because it not only balances your everyday workload rather also helps you to maintain a healthy kitchen atmosphere. But today, we are not focusing on the dishwasher’s pros or cons.
Meanwhile, we will discuss what types of things are dishwasher safe. Actually, we have got enough inquiries on the question, “can you put a hydro flask in the dishwasher”?
With that said, we have decided to pen down the topic in detail. Let’s start with a brief, direct answer before an elaborate discussion.
Can you wash hydro flasks in the dishwasher? The answer is yes is some point and no in some manner. Why? Because not all type of hydro flask is dishwasher safe. More clearly speaking, hydro flasks manufactured before 2020 are not dishwasher safe. On the other hand, post-2020 hydro flask models are dishwashers safe.
Now the question will arise why it is like this? Bear with us for a details discourse.
Definition of a Hydro Flask
Although hydro flash does not need recognition. Despite the fact, we have included the definition for those who are still getting familiar with the function of this super popular bottle. However, a hydro flask is a stainless-steel insulated bottle specially designed to keep water cold or hot simultaneously.
According to the hydro flask manufacturer, if you keep ice-cold water in the bottle, it will remain cold for up to 24 hours. Therefore, if you pour hot water, it will also be hot for up to 12 hours.
Because it is built with a combination of vacuum insulation and double-walled stainless-steel construction. The layout creates an insulated barrier that helps maintain the liquid’s temperature. As a result, keeping hot drinks hot and cold drinks cold for extended periods of time.
Additionally, hydro flask bottles often have a leak-proof cap or lid, which helps maintain the liquid’s temperature by preventing air from entering or escaping the bottle.
Speaking of the design details, it is available in various sizes, colors, and styles. And they are often used for activities such as hiking, camping, biking, working out, and even home use.
Lastly, hydro flask bottles are an eco-friendly alternative to disposable plastic water bottles, making them more attractive for everyday use.
Why Post-2020 Hydro Flask Models are Dishwasher Safe?
A new model of hydro flask bottles made after 2020 is safe for washing in a dishwasher because they are mostly constructed with power-coated material that allows you to put it in the dishwasher.
Since power coated is a kind of material that does not fade or corrosion easily and has heat resistance components. Besides, in the question-answer section of the hydro flask official website, they clearly define all hydro flask powder-coated bottles are dishwasher safe. On the other hand, hydro flask coffee mugs are not powder coated, and also they are not dishwasher safe.
However, for washing the bottle in the dishwasher, the manufacturer recommended putting them on the dishwasher’s top rack.
Although dishwasher safe, you can also hand wash them because the bottle does not require hard cleaning.
In a later section, we have also included how to clean a hydro flask bottle. Keep reading.
Why Are Pre-2020 Hydro Flask Models Not Dishwasher Safe?
Clearly, you might already understand why the pre-2020 model of the hydro flask is not dishwasher safe. Because they are not constructed with power-coated material and consequently don’t have heat and fade resistance components.
So, when you place them even in the top rack of your dishwasher, in that case, the machine’s heat and cleaning process will damage the bottle’s overall temperature system.
As a result, it will lose its efficiency in keeping water cold or hot for a long time. Eventually, those pre-2020 models are not recommended for washing in a dishwasher.
Can You Wash Hydro Flask Bottle Lid and Cap in Dishwasher?
Another question that is related to hydro flask cleaning is, can you put the hydro flask lid or cap in a dishwasher?
Again, the answer is no and yes.
No, because few pieces of research show if you put the lid or cap of a hydro flask in the dishwasher. The bottle’s insulation property becomes damaged by the high temperature of the washers and will react with the high-range detergent.
Contrary to this statement, other research claims all types of lids and caps of the hydro flask are absolutely dishwasher safe.
Don’t worry about the different types of research arguments, as the hydro flask manufacturer clearly states on their official website, “All Hydro Flask Caps and Lids are Top Rack Dishwasher Safe.”But it’s advised to place them on top of the machine.
Although the official statement allows the lid and cap to wash in the dishwasher, it always prefers hand washing.
Here is a How-to Hand Wash Hydro Flask Lid or Cap
- Remove the lid or cap from your hydro flask bottle.
- Next, fill a sink or a bowl with warm water and a small amount of gentle dish soap.
- Now, dip the lid or cap into the soapy water. Use a soft-bristled brush or sponge to scrub the inside gently and outside the lid.
- Be careful to pay special attention to the threads and crevices where dirt or grime may be trapped.
- After scrubbing properly, rinse the lid thoroughly with clean water.
- Shake off excess water and dry the lid with a clean towel and natural air.
- Allow the lid to air dry completely before reattaching it to your Hydro Flask bottle.
That’s it! With these simple steps, you can keep your Hydro Flask lid clean and in good condition without using your dishwasher.
How to Wash Hydro Flask in Dishwasher
Well, you have already known what type of hydro flasks are dishwasher safe. Now follow the below step to know the proper cleaning process.
- First, disassemble your hydro flask by removing the lid, straw, and other detachable parts.
- Place all of the parts in the top rack of your dishwasher, making sure they are evenly spaced out and not touching each other or any other dishes.
- Choose a dishwasher cycle with a moderate temperature and avoid using a high-temperature or sanitize cycle, as this may damage your Hydro Flask.
- Add dishwashing detergent to the dishwasher’s dispenser as usual.
- Start the dishwasher and allow the cycle to complete.
- Once the cycle is finished, remove your hydro flask parts from the dishwasher and inspect them for any remaining dirt or residue.
- Repeat the process or wash the parts using warm water and soap to remove any remaining grime.
- Dry each part completely with a clean towel or air-drying them separately on a dish rack.
- Reassemble the parts, and your hydro flask is now ready to use.
While some hydro flask models are dishwasher safe, others may not be. Before using your hydro flask in a dishwasher, check the manufacturer’s instructions or website to make sure it’s safe to do so. Additionally, exposure to high temperatures in the dishwasher may cause the vacuum seal to fail, decreasing temperature retention ability.
How to Hand Wash Hydro Flask
Hand washing is always preferable for a hydro flask despite being dishwasher safe. Because hand washing gives the bottle long-lasting durability, let’s see the easy and simple cleaning process.
- Very first, disassemble the hydro flask by removing its lid, straw, cap, and other detachable parts.
- Rinse the inside and outside of the bottle with warm water to remove any loose dirt or debris.
- Next, fill the bottle with warm water and add a few drops of mild soap. If your Hydro Flask is particularly dirty or stained. You can also add a small amount of baking soda to the water.
- You need to use a soft-bristled brush to scrub the inside and outside of the bottle. Meanwhile, check carefully any place of the bottle that are particularly dirty or stained. However, be careful not to scrub too hard, as this can damage the bottle’s surface.
- Rinse the bottle thoroughly with warm water to remove any soap residue. Do it twice for better cleaning.
- Now, shake off any excess water and dry the flask.
- You can also use a clean towel or cloth to dry the bottle. But before use, ensure to dry both the inside and outside thoroughly. Dry these separately if you’re cleaning a hydro flask with a straw or other component.
Different types of Hydro Flask may require slightly different cleaning methods. For example, if you have a Hydro Flask with a straw lid, you must disassemble the lid and clean the straw separately. Similarly, suppose you have a hydro flask with a powder-coated finish. Then you may need to use a gentler cleaning method to avoid damaging the surface.
Avoid using abrasive materials or harsh chemicals when cleaning, as this may damage the finish or vacuum seal.
Few Extra Tips
Whether you clean the bottle in the dishwasher or by hand, it will be beneficial if you follow these extra tips. Have a look.
- Use a soft-bristled brush or sponge
- Avoid using bleach or chlorine
- Use a mild soap
- Don’t soak your hydro flask for long hour
- Dry it thoroughly before use
- Store your hydro flask with the lid off
- Avoid using abrasive materials or steel wool
- Check the manufacturer’s instructions for dishwasher safety and hand wash safety
- Choose a moderate temperature cycle in the dishwasher
- Avoid using high-temperature or sanitizing cycles in the dishwasher
- Inspect your hydro flask after cleaning for any remaining dirt or residue
- Repeat the process or hand wash any remaining grime
- Avoid exposing your hydro flask to extreme temperatures
- Handle it carefully to prevent dents or scratches.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you deep clean a Hydro Flask?
Answer: To deep clean a hydro flask, mix a solution of baking soda and warm water, pour it into the flask, let it sit for an hour, scrub the inside with a bottle brush, rinse with water, and let it air dry. Adding lemon juice or white vinegar can also help with freshness.
How do you clean a smelly Hydro Flask?
Answer: To clean a smelly hydro flask, simply cut a lemon in half, squeeze the juice into the flask, and fill it up with water. Let the mixture sit in the flask for a few hours or overnight, then rinse it out with clean water and let it air dry. The citric acid in the lemon helps to neutralize any odors in the flask.
To warp up, hopefully, you get to know the exact answer to the question, “can you put a hydro flask in the dishwasher. “That’s all we have for today. Wishing you good luck and enjoy your hydro flask using and cleaning.
Paul Newman is a blogger who writes about plumbing and home improvement. Over the past 20 years, I have worked as a plumber. My passion is to share my knowledge and experience with others to improve their homes.