If you have an automatic ice maker or water dispenser in your refrigerator. In that case, you must connect it to the water line. But, when you need to clean or leave it off for a prolonged period, you must disconnect the main water line from the fridge.
Here, we will explain the steps to disconnect the water line from the refrigerator and answer any questions about the process.
However, firstly, you must turn off the shut-off valve of the main water line. Then, you must locate the connecting point of the copper tube and water supply hose and unscrew them. After that, you can disconnect the refrigerator and water line.
It may take a lot of work to go through the process of disconnect water line from fridge. Therefore, this article will go through the steps and answer any questions about the refrigerator’s water line.
So, without further introduction, let’s go ahead with details.
How to Disconnect Water Line from Fridge- Few Effective Steps to Follow
When storing your fridge for an extended period, it is essential to ensure it properly shuts off. Additionally, it will be good to clean the fridge once per month. The key to proper storage and cleaning is disconnecting the refrigerator from the main water line. Otherwise, water may leak and flood the entire floor.
The copper tube or water hose may also become leaky and require replacement, for which the line must be removed. To ensure a successful disconnection of the water line, follow the proper steps.
Step 1: Shutting off the Ice Maker or Water Dispenser
You could not disconnect the waterline readily. To avoid any issues, you must first turn off your fridge’s ice maker or water dispenser before disconnecting the waterline. If you neglect to do this, the water supply line will rapidly drain, potentially causing damage to the shut-off valve.
It can lead to malfunctioning and create a hassle for you. Therefore, taking the necessary steps to prevent this from happening is satisfactory.
Step 2: Finding and Turning Off the Shut-off Valve
When you have turned off the ice maker of your refrigerator, you need to find the shut-off valve. It will allow you to shut off the valve easily. The shut-off valve location depends on where you have placed the refrigerator.
The fridge shut-off valve of the water line in your kitchen can be found in a few different places:
- Around a tight crawl space
- Underneath the kitchen sink
- In the closest cabinet of the fridge
- In your basement at home
It is highly recommended that you pay close attention to the refrigerator and seek out the off switch. Carefully rotate the valve counterclockwise to make sure it is completely shut off. Before proceeding to the next step, please double-check that the valve is firmly turned off to ensure that it has been disabled properly.
Step 3: Turning off the Fridge
- Switch off the main electric outlet the first step to turning off the fridge is to switch off the main electric outlet. You can do this by unplugging the electric outlet from the wall.
- Remove the plug of the Fridge. Once the main electric outlet is switched off, remove the fridge plug from the outlet.
- Wait for a few minutes. It is momentous to wait a few minutes before turning on the fridge again. Because the copper condenser can become heated and cause a burning sensation if handled without caution.
Step 4: Disconnecting Water Line
- Prepare for an emergency before disconnecting the water line; you should be ready for an emergency. Place a container under the connecting point of the regular water hose and copper tube to hold the water that runs through the waterline.
- Loosen the Saddle valve and look at the connecting point of the cold water supply line and copper line. The copper line is usually ¼-inch in diameter. The tube and the cold-water line will be connected using a T-valve, aka saddle valve. You need to loosen the saddle valve carefully. If it has any screws, untighten the screw using a screwdriver.
- Place container underneath also, place the container underneath the saddle valve to hold the water running through the cold-water line.
Step 5: Disconnecting the Copper Tube
- Locate the screw and look at the back of your fridge. There will be a screw that holds the copper tube against the fridge tightly.
- Remove the Screw using a wrench.
- Pull off the tube after the screw has been removed, you can pull off the copper tube.
- With the last step complete, you can now usually clean or store your fridge.
Is it Necessary to Replace the Water Line of My Refrigerator?
Fridge components, including the waterline and copper tube, should last for years. To replace it, you can look at home improvement stores or electric hardware stores to find the right waterline.
Here are the options:
- OEM copper tubing
- Braided steel pipe
- Plastic pipe
You can disconnect the copper tubing and water line from the fridge. Then, reattach the new one.
Frequently ask question:
Is it possible to run a refrigerator without a cold-water line?
Answer: It is possible to run a refrigerator without a cold-water line. If your refrigerator has a water dispenser or ice maker, you can shut them off and use the fridge without the water line. Additionally, it is recommended to remove the copper tubing for better operating of the fridge.
What Is The Cost Of Replacing The Leaky Cold-Water Line Of The Fridge?
Answer: Replacing the leaky cold-water line of the fridge without any plumber’s help can cost between $20 and $50.
Can the freezer be used without a water line?
Answer: Yes, you can use a freezer without a water line. Freezers that can produce ice without a water line are known as manual-defrost freezers. These freezers require manual defrosting, which involves turning off the freezer, removing all food items, and using a scraper or cloth to remove ice and frost buildup from the interior walls.
This type of freezer may be beneficial if you have limited space or need access to a water line.
Is there any variation in refrigerator water lines?
Answer: Yes, there are several different types of refrigerator water lines. Some are braided stainless steel, some are plastic, and some are copper. The type of water line needed depends on the type of refrigerator and the installation process.
Is it feasible to operate a refrigerator with an ice maker without a water line?
Answer: Yes, you can use a refrigerator with an ice maker without a water line. Most refrigerators with an ice maker require a water line, but there are also models available that use a built-in reservoir to supply water to the ice maker.
This guide has helped you discover how to disconnect the water line from the fridge. It’s a reasonably straightforward process, requiring no special skills. All that’s needed is a few minutes and the right tools. Once you’ve shut off the water supply valve and collected any remaining water, you can easily disconnect the cold-water line and copper tubing.
Paul Newman is a blogger who writes about plumbing and home improvement. Over the past 20 years, I have worked as a plumber. My passion is to share my knowledge and experience with others to improve their homes.